Call for Applications: Researcher for the development of Guidelines on Online Hate Speech and Harassment
As part of a new project with football stakeholders, CEJI is actively searching for a researcher to create an action-oriented Guidelines document on Online hate speech and harassment.
12 working days contract between September 15th and October 15th, 2023. Application deadline: September 12th, 2023
CEJI is based in Brussels and the role is home-based, but the candidate needs to be EU-based.
The Researcher will make an essential contribution to the production of an action-oriented Guidelines document on Online hate speech and harassment.
This assignment addresses a global issue, also present in Belgian professional football. Although much of the available information may be globally available and relatable, the scope of work is limited to professional football in Belgium. The document will be developed by CEJI and partners, and it will cover the general definitions and mechanisms available in the efforts against online hate speech, while also considering the Belgian context. Rather than extensive and academic, it is expected to be hands-on and ready-to-implement knowledge and actionable suggestions for the relevant stakeholders in the partner organisations.
Tasks and responsibilities:
With the support of other staff members, the successful candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Participation in initial consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders to clarify the document’s objectives/priorities and outline.
- Research, summarise and analyse current data and literature on online hate speech and harassment, both regarding global and Belgian information.
- Gather relevant testimonies on online hate speech cases and follow-up action, with a preference for those originating from the sports sector.
- Draft the document, guided by an agreed-upon outline.
- Experience in researching and analysis of data and literature on online hate speech.
- Deep knowledge of online hate speech and its various forms, manifestations, and underlying dynamics.
- Familiarity with the football industry functioning.
- Experience in reviewing, summarising and analysing empirical data, and policy documents.
- Excellent written English.
- Experience in preparing, conducting, transcribing and thematically analysing interviews.
- Relevant experience in drafting documents and guidelines for various stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable of the Belgian (Sport) context.
Contract duration and fee
The researcher will be subcontracted for 12 working days between September 15th and October 15th to contribute to the above-mentioned activities.
Expert fee varies depending on Researcher’s seniority/experience.
Home access to the internet, laptop and mobile phone is required for this position.
Application process and deadline
We will only consider those candidates who send:
- A CV,
- Motivation letter,
- Daily rate,
- A maximum of two relevant written samples and any link to prior publication.
We ask you to send this to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 12th of September.