New WE CAN online course on hate speech
Hate speech is rampant across social media channels and there is a a clear need to both counter it and to establish alternative narratives. Recent and ongoing crises, such as the Covid-19 pandemic, have magnified and exposed hateful and discriminatory narratives, urging everyday netizens to respond and to prevent it from spreading further.
The new WE CAN-Understand and counter hate speech course, starting on 7th April, aims to equip participants with the necessary knowledge for recognizing hate speech, and to support them in countering it by presenting a multitude of ways, from counter-speech to alternative campaigns, and importantly, human rights-based narratives.
The course features the findings and tools from the ongoing WE CAN for human rights speech project.
The newly revised version of the hate speech course supports participants to:
- Develop an understanding of what hate speech is
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of hate speech on individuals and communities
- Gain a better understanding of how hate speech and free speech relate to each other
- Set up safety measures before engaging with hate speech
- Identify various forms of counter-speech and prepare a personal action-plan
- Learn about how human rights-based narratives can help your efforts
Read the detailed course description here or fill out the registration form to indicate your interest in the course!
Registration is open until the 29th March.